Minimising our impact on the environment and empowering our staff and communities
Resolve Energy are in a challenging position: securing energy for businesses at an affordable price. For businesses to prosper, the cost of energy and environmental sustainability is a head-on challenge.
It is through the principles of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that Resolve Energy has based its ESG strategy, to be responsible in its operation to clients and staff, as well as supporting sustainability on a local, national and international level.
Sustainability and the ever-increasing pressure on our climate have ensured Resolve Energy are committed to meeting these challenges. Resolve Energy’s sustainability objectives and key results are:
- To become net zero in our own business operations, including supplying only clean energy sources by 2025
- Supporting our clients in their journey to becoming net zero by 2050
- Empower and support our staff and be a responsible employer
- To advocate global citizenship by supporting our local community organisations and charities, and to support biodiversity projects on a local, regional, national and international level
- Promote and support clean energy projects worldwide via our carbon offsetting programme
Resolve Energy has set a target to be net zero in our business operations by 2025, and to recognise this has signed up to achieve the SME Net Zero Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi). We have also aligned our intentions to become recognised as a net zero company through:
- UNFCC Race to Zero
- Pledge to Net Zero
- SME Climate Hub
- B Corp Climate Collective
There will also be a significant change in our business strategy: to only provide green energy tariffs to our clients from 2025. Not only have we seen a client-led shift towards green tariffs in recent years, but it is a key responsible business practice that can have a dramatic reduction in carbon emissions and minimise our impact globally. Resolve Energy is also working towards B Corp status to further reinforce our sustainability credentials.
By implementing a Net Zero Office Plan we have ensured impacts on the planet are minimised from our operations; by educating our staff and encouraging energy savings practices, to minimise and recycle office waste, promote and support sustainable commuting, sustainable purchasing policy and support tree planting from our web searches.
For every contract supplied, we will plant 5 trees within the UK to improve biodiversity. Also, to mitigate the impacts from our employees, we plant 5 trees per month to ensure we have a climate-friendly workforce.
Resolve Energy are committed to supporting and empowering our staff and local communities. To show this commitment, we are signed up to be a member, work in accordance and be accredited with the Liverpool City Region Fair Employment Charter. By doing so, Resolve Energy will commit to:
- Safe workplaces supporting a healthy workforce
- Fair pay and fair hours
- Inclusive workplaces that support staff to grow and develop
- A voice for staff to help deliver justice in the workplace with opportunities available for young people
Resolve Energy are a Living Wage Employer.
Being Global Citizens
Recognising our influence and acting as global citizens is key to our social and environmental responsibility. Resolve Energy therefore supports:
- Local charities and organisations that work to improve our community
- Biodiversity projects on a local, regional, national and international level to rebalance the decline of nature
- Environmental charities to reduce human impact on the planet
- Renewable and low carbon energy projects worldwide via our carbon offsetting programme.
Local, national and international biodiversity and environmental schemes we are supporting include:
- Backyard Nature
- Mersey Forest
- Lancashire Wildlife Trust
- Get Nature Positive
- Surfers Against Sewage
- Plastic Free Communities
SME Net Zero SBTi
The SBTi has become the de-facto gold standard for businesses to set credible targets to address the climate crisis. Resolve Energy are signing up to meet the SME target of a net-zero science-based target:
- Achieve the near-term and long-term targets in accordance with the rules of the Greenhouse Gas Protocol within the specified timeframe.
- Achieve the near-term and long-term targets in accordance with the SBTi's Net-Zero Standard and Criteria, which requires companies to directly reduce absolute emissions across scopes 1, 2 and 3 at least 90% by 2050. When reaching the long-term science-based target, SMEs must neutralise the impact of any source of any residual emissions by permanently removing an equivalent volume of atmospheric CO2 to reach net-zero.
- Publicly report its company-wide scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions inventory and progress against published targets on an annual basis. Companies shall follow the Greenhouse Gas Protocol Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard, the Scope 2 Guidance and the Greenhouse Gas Protocol Value Chain (Scope 3) Accounting and Reporting Standard.
Sustainable Development Goals
At Resolve Energy we understand and support all 17 of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Resolve Energy’s ESG policies and Net Zero pathway will support the SDGs with our actions having a particular focus on the following:
7. Affordable and Clean Energy
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
Year on year, Resolve Energy will be increasing the supply of renewable energy options to our existing and new clients, by 2025 the share of renewable energy offered will be 100%.
By 2030, through the Net Zero service of Resolve Energy, clients will be supported to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 50%. We will also collaborate with business owners, landlords and tenants, to facilitate on-site renewable energy-generating and low carbon solutions to ultimately achieve energy security.
8. Decent Work and Economic Growth
Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
With a sustainable purchasing policy in place and segregated waste streams with zero-landfill, Resolve Energy will improve progressively, through 2030, resource efficiency in consumption and endeavour to decouple economic growth from environmental degradation, in accordance with the 10-year framework of programmes on sustainable consumption and production.
Before 2030, by working in accordance with the Liverpool City Region Fair Employment Charter, Resolve Energy will achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all women and men, including for young people and persons with disabilities, and equal pay for work of equal value.
9. Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialisation and foster innovation
By 2030, Resolve Energy and the Net Zero service will help support the upgrade of infrastructure and retrofit industries to make them sustainable, with increased resource-use efficiency and greater adoption of clean and environmentally sound technologies and industrial processes.
Through the climate offset programmes chosen, sustainable and resilient infrastructure development will be supported in developing countries through enhanced financial, technological and technical support to African countries, least developed countries, landlocked developing countries and small island developing States.
10. Reduced Inequalities
Reduce inequality within and among countries
By working in accordance with the Liverpool City Region Fair Employment Charter, Resolve Energy will empower and promote the social, economic and political inclusion of all, irrespective of age, sex, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion or economic or other status by 2030.
11. Sustainable Cities and Communities
Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Through our waste management and support to clients via the Net Zero service, Resolve Energy will reduce the adverse per capita environmental impact of cities by 2030.
The biodiversity and community schemes supported by Resolve Energy will help provide universal access to safe, inclusive and accessible, green and public spaces, in particular for women and children, older persons and persons with disabilities by 2030.
12. Responsible Consumption and Production
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Through the Net Zero Office Plan and via the Net Zero service to our clients, Resolve Energy will:
- Ensure sustainable management and efficient use of natural resources
- Substantially reduce waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse
- Encourage companies, especially large and transnational companies, to adopt sustainable practices and to integrate sustainability information into their reporting cycle
- Ensure that people everywhere have the relevant information and awareness for sustainable development and lifestyles in harmony with nature
- Support developing countries to strengthen their scientific and technological capacity to move towards more sustainable patterns of consumption and production, through the selected carbon offset programs
13. Climate Action
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Through Resolve Energy’s Net Zero SBTi commitment, plus our shift of increasing the supply of renewable energy sources and Net Zero service to our clients, total greenhouse gas emissions per year will be reduced.
Resolve Energy will also improve education and awareness-raising on climate change mitigation, adaptation and impact reduction, both for our employees and clients.
15. Life on Land
Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
Resolve Energy’s support of local and national biodiversity projects, Get Nature Positive pledge and carbon offsetting projects will help to:
- Ensure the conservation, restoration and sustainable use of terrestrial and inland freshwater ecosystems and their services, in particular forests, wetlands, mountains and drylands in the UK and developing countries
- Promote the implementation of sustainable management of all types of forests, halt deforestation, restore degraded forests and substantially increase afforestation and reforestation globally
- Combat desertification, restore degraded land and soil, including land affected by desertification, drought and floods, and strive to achieve a land degradation-neutral world
- Ensure the conservation of mountain ecosystems, including their biodiversity, in order to enhance their capacity to provide benefits that are essential for sustainable development
- Take action to reduce the degradation of natural habitats, halt the loss of biodiversity and protect and prevent the extinction of threatened species